UK data protection law classifies Typefolk as a data controller. This means Typefolk has control over how your personal information is collected, why it is collected and how it is used.
For the purpose of sending newsletters, Typefolk uses the lawful basis of consent to collect your personal information. This means that for this purpose your personal information will not be collected and used without your permission.
For the purposes of providing artwork submission features, judging and voting features, partner communication, general communication and enquiries, spam prevention, security features and protecting the interests of Typefolk, the lawful basis of legitimate interest is used by Typefolk.
Frequent data audits and reviews are carried out to ensure that Typefolk is compliant with UK data law, relevant legislation and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Typefolk is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) under the registration number ZB180736.
Personal Information Collected
Typefolk collects and uses both personally identifying information and non personally identifying information for the purpose of providing services, content, features and a better experience for users of Typefolk.
(1) Personally identifying information Typefolk collects and uses includes your name, your email address, your postal or business address, your I.P address, your social media handles or profile links, your website address, a professional portrait image of you, when you open newsletters, how many times you open a newsletter and when you click on a link in a newsletter.
(2) Non personally identifying information Typefolk collects and uses includes information such as country, county, province or state, gender, age range, browser, device type, anonymised IP address, how users arrived at Typefolk, pages visited on Typefolk and if an individual has visited Typefolk previously.
How your Personal Information is Used
(1) Personally identifying information is used for the purpose of communicating with you if you send a message or email to Typefolk, to communicate with you if you are a media partner and to communicate with you and publicly display information about you if you participate as a judge or submit artwork to Typefolk. Your personally identifying information may also be used to send you digital badges, digital certificates and awards if your submitted artwork is deemed as winning.
(2) Personally identifying information is used to send you Typefolk newsletters if you provide consent to receive them, and to make sure newsletters sent are of interest to the majority who receive them. You can unsubscribe from a newsletter at any time by selecting ‘Unsubscribe’ from the bottom of every newsletter sent to you.
(3) Personally identifying information such as your email address and I.P address may be used to prevent fraudulent activity, spam and to implement security features, blocking content you send to Typefolk if it is deemed to be spam, malicious or inappropriate in nature or used to remove you from services.
(4) Personally identifying information may be used to provide sufficient evidence that you have consented to the collection and use of your personal information, or that it has been handled appropriately for legal and compliance purposes. It may also be used to protect the rights and property of Typefolk, and to enforce the provisions of any Terms of Service and Conditions associated with Typefolk.
(5) Non personally identifying information is used for the purpose of improving Typefolk services and the Typefolk website experience, based upon how services are used and how individuals visit and interact with the Typefolk website.
Typefolk only collects the personal information needed for a specific purpose or to carry out a specific activity. Typefolk does not sell, rent or trade personal information nor does it buy personal information.
Consent is obtained to collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes stated above.
Consent is not required to collect, store and use non personally identifying information about you. Consent is also not always required to collect, store and use personally identifying information. Non personally identifying information is collected as you use the Typefolk website and associated services.
Under the lawful basis of legitimate interest Typefolk collects and uses personal information for the purposes of providing services and features, email communication, preventing spam, maintaining security and protecting the interests of Typefolk.
This does not affect your rights, and when legitimate interest is used to collect your personal information you still have the right to request access and updates to personal information that Typefolk may hold on you under these circumstances. You also have the right to request erasure of your personal information and object to your personal information being used.
Where Your Personal Information is Stored
Typefolk is located within the United Kingdom, and this is where some of your personal information is stored and used. The third parties which provide services to Typefolk and which share access to your personal information for the purpose of fulfilling services provided to Typefolk may be situated outside of the United Kingdom. Therefore, some of your personal information is stored outside of the United Kingdom in locations such as the United States.
How Long Your Personal Information is Kept
Typefolk will keep your personal information for the period of time necessary to carry out the collection and use activities specified above. Data audits and reviews are carried out regularly so that data which is no longer needed can be deleted. If you request for your personal information to be forgotten, it will be deleted within 30 days of request. However, in some cases for legal and compliance purposes evidence of your initial consent followed by withdrawal may be maintained.
Personal Information Security
Typefolk implements encryption via secure socket layer technology (SSL) to try and keep personal information you enter on the website secure. Typefolk also implements generally accepted industry standards to protect your personal information.
Where possible two factor authentication is also used to prevent unlawful access to your personal information.
Whilst reasonable efforts and precautions are taken to protect the security of personal information you share with Typefolk, the security of your personal information cannot be guaranteed.
In the case of any breach of your personal information, you will be notified within a timely manner.
Personal Information Disclosure
If required to do so by law or government organisations, Typefolk will share any personal information requested. Typefolk may also share any personal information necessary in order to protect the rights and property of Typefolk, and to enforce the provisions of any Terms of Service and Conditions associated with Typefolk.
Any personal information which is shared will be done so in a secure manner.
In order to provide quality services, features and content throughout Typefolk, non-identifying information such as usage patterns, statistics and trends might be shared with service providers, content partners and sponsors.
If Typefolk is merged with another company, sold, or is subject to an acquisition, your personal information may be transferred to the new company or owner(s).
Typefolk does not knowingly collect personal information associated with children or minors (those who have not reached the age of majority). By using Typefolk and its services you should be at least the age of majority in your county, state or province of residence. If Typefolk becomes aware that you are under the age of majority, appropriate action will be taken to remove your personal information immediately.
Third Party Services
Typefolk uses third party services and providers which aid Typefolk in operation. In most cases, the third party providers which Typefolk utilises the services of will only collect, use and disclose your personal information to the extent necessary for the third party to perform the services they provide to Typefolk. Many of the third party providers Typefolk uses are compliant with the EU-US Privacy Shield framework.
When you contact or tag Typefolk via social media platforms, Typefolk does not have control over the way your personal information is collected, stored or used.
Third party services, providers and links may take you away from Typefolk and will have their own individual Privacy Policies. It is recommended that you always familiarise yourself with third party Privacy Policies.
Accessing Your Personal Information
If your personal information was collected using consent you have the right to access, update, have transferred and have deleted the personal information relating to you that Typefolk collected for the purposes associated with consent. If your personal information was collected using legitimate interest you have the right to access, update and have deleted the personal information relating to you that Typefolk collected for the purposes associated with legitimate interest.
In order for Typefolk to keep accurate records, please notify Typefolk about any updates to your personal information. Upon making a request regarding your personal information Typefolk will need to verify your identity and connection to the personal information for security and protection purposes.
[Typefolk 35434, PO Box 6945, London, W1A 6US, United Kingdom]
You also have the right to register a complaint with a supervisory authority if you wish to do so, such as the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) or an appropriate equivalent.
Last updated on 7th June, 2020